Summerville, SC Digital X-Rays
At Finkbine Family Dentistry, we want you to be successful in achieving your goal of a healthier smile. One of the ways we do this is by using state-of-the-art technology that streamlines your treatments, increases your comfort, and ensures optimal oral health.
Digital x-rays are a diagnostic technology that we use to keep your family’s teeth strong and healthy. Traditional film x-rays were the most valuable tool we had, but now we have access to state-of-the-art digital x-rays, which are superior for both health and practical reasons.
State-of-the-Art Digital X-Rays
The traditional method for taking x-rays includes positioning a device between upper and lower teeth. This is the film for the x-ray, which absorbs radiation and produces an image of your teeth.
With digital x-rays, however, we use a flat sensor instead of x-ray film. The process is similar to traditional x-rays because we position the sensor in your mouth. However, the sensor is electronic, not film, and most patients find it more comfortable.
Digital x-rays give us the ability to focus on a precise area of the tooth we’re treating. The sensor captures highly detailed images of the tooth, then sends the information to our in-house network where it is digitally stored.
Advantages of Digital Imaging
If you want to stay informed about your oral health, it is essential for you to be involved in planning your treatment, and digital x-rays enable us to do that. We can view the image together on your chairside monitor, and your doctor can zoom in, highlight, and even rotate the image. When you can clearly see what the problem is, it’s easier for you to understand our findings and why we might recommend a certain treatment plan.
Digital x-rays offer many obvious advantages compared to film x-rays including improved diagnostics, increased comfort, and the ability to include you actively in the process. But there are other benefits as well:
- With digital x-rays, the amount of exposure you receive is small compared to film x-rays. Though estimates vary, it has been found that a digital x-ray generally exposes you to 80% less radiation.
- Since digital x-rays provide a detailed picture of your mouth, your doctors can diagnose the problem and plan treatment while providing you with a highly detailed image of the problem area and how proposed treatment will benefit you.
- Digital images are easy to access, making them readily available when needed in the future, making it easy to review your history and monitor certain treatments or conditions.
- We can securely send the electronic images directly to specialists and insurance providers when necessary, creating less hassle for you.
- Since there are no chemicals to dispose of, digital images are safer for the environment.
Call to Schedule Your Next Exam
Digital x-rays have improved the way we diagnose problems and they ensure the best possible results for your treatment. If you would like more information about our digital x-rays, please call our Summerville, SC dental office and we will be happy to arrange a convenient exam.